Friday, April 1, 2011

... the meaning of mint chocolate

I must say that mint happens to be one of my favourite additions to anything from leg of lamb to chocolate cupcakes (and even coffee!). Mint is one of those things that adds that little hint of spicy freshness that I really appreciate! I recently realised, however, that many close friends of mine do not share the same sentiment (AT ALL).

I remember being taught as a young girl to respect the preferences of others because it's just the polite thing to do. General rules of etiquette. I remember just practicing (or at least trying to) such rules of etiquette by rote until recently when I realised that etiquette isn't intended to make you "stuck up"; etiquette just ensures that you behave in such a way that other persons enjoy having you around. It's probably something I should have realised before but doing things like eating with your mouth closed (because chewed up food looks disgusting) and saying goodmorning, please and thank you (because it makes persons feel appreciated); are little ways to make life better for others. Example: If I wake up on the wrong side of bed and head into a store because I need to buy a notebook, chances are, the store that has the customer service rep with the helpful attitude and warm greeting is the one I'm more likely to spend money with even if they may not have the notebook I want at that time.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), marketing is not the only tool businesses need to succeed in today's global market. The ease on barriers to trade enables any firm to introduce a good or service locally and prove quite a force to be reckoned with. Many of times, along with a comparable product and a stronger dollar, the firm is able to sensitize employees to the value of good customer service. Several companies have tried endless ad campaigns in order to recapture market share with no luck while their counterparts, with similar efforts have been more successful based (many times) on good customer service ... or even the illusion of it... and innovative offerings to back up the ad campaigns. Being nice really matters, even in business!

And all this from a conversation about mint chocolate... :)

Give me my York peppermint patties, Andes chocolates and mint Oreos any day!
If that's not your cup of tea, it's alright :)

Fresh and spicy,
SB

1 comment:

  1. all of this stemming from chocolate.
    food is inspiration indeed :)love this take on etiquette.

    xoxo
    Keeta

    ReplyDelete